It’s been a year since we moved! Which seems crazy in many ways – it seems like we’ve only been here a few months, and it seems like we’ve been here forever. A million things have happened. House buying, new jobs, fertility treatments, family times, exploring & falling more in love with New England, cat traumas, family dramas. I love our house (though whew! I knew an old house would be trouble and work, but was not QUITE prepared for it) & I love our town, but I do miss California a lot. Especially Big Sur.
It’s also a year since Hurricane Irene – we hadn’t even fully unpacked the moving van when it hit. I don’t think many people realize how brutal it was for the state and the economy. Between a mellow winter and trashed roads, Vermont is hurting. It still shocks me to see houses tipped on their sides, guardrails crumpled in a ball as if squeezed in a giant’s fist. The state is recovering, though, and I think a lot of people are ready to put the last year of recovery behind them and to move forward.
Our goals for year two:
– Get the cottage up and running as an AirBnB rental
– Make a frickin’ baby
– Continue the house-fixing, especially making it healthy – basement drainage & air flow
– Get out more in summer! Especially to lakes!
– Find a health club / health routine we like and stick with it
– Start making things again now that my studio is set up
– Get back into Etsy selling
– Think about long term career goals / education goals
– Set a plan for family financial goals / jam on debt (see above Etsy & AirBnB plans!)
– More travel!